Friendship and a Birthday Greeting

 Here are a couple of poems sent to me by Kate Gibson - thanks for those.

The first about Friendship is marked with John Alcock's pseudonym Horton Yardely. The second is a birthday greeting but has no name on it.


FRIENDSHIP

If all my friends stuck fast to me,
As fast as I do stick to thee,
No other wealth would I aspire,
For I should have all I desire,
So here's my hand and here's my heart,
God grant that we may never part.


A BIRTHDAY GREETING

Now once again upon the earth,
Dawns unto thee thy day of birth,
Fast as the circling years roll round.
God has thee with another crown'd,
Thy children mingle in thy praise,
And unto thee thy voices raise,
Congratulate thee on this day,
"God give thee blessing" that we pray,
And when the fleeting years have cast,
Thy days unto those that are past,
And unto thee earth shall not dawn,
_ thou awake in heavenly morn.



No comments:

Post a Comment