THURSDAY 9th AUGUST 1888

Morning - At Walton Villa, looking over dad's old papers and sorting. At Bird in Hand, inspecting Titterton's accounts and trying to get them straight.

Afternoon - Office, writing late B. Thacker's valuation etc.

Evening - To Howes, Teanford, where Bert has gone for tea - I started at 7pm and we had supper there - during the evening I sung 3 songs and gave great satisfaction in fact. I surprised myself. One of the Miss Howes accompanied on the piano - the songs were:
Tom Bowling
Answer To Gypsys Warning
Tis But a Little Faded Flower

Notes:
1) Bird in Hand pub - http://s135683969.websitehome.co.uk/misc/cheadlepubs/wordpress/?page_id=175

1 comment:

  1. It’s interesting that a John Alcock was listed as the proprietor of the Bird in Hand in 1881. Presumably a different John Alcock as ‘our’ one was in New Zealand at that point.
    Also, regarding the songs John sang - my dad had several old books of songs that included ‘Tom Bowling’ and ‘The Gypsy’s Warning’ (but not, as far as I can remember ‘Answer to the Gypsy’s Warning’)

    ReplyDelete