SATURDAY 14th APRIL 1888

At 10am, started from home and walked to Hollington, measuring land regarding disputed boundary at Mrs Woodroffe(?), shopkeeper, Hollington. I had lunch here and then went to Bellfields quarries and got samples stone. White best 1 shilling and 3 pence; salmon color 1 shilling per cube foot. Young Bellfield promised to send me better samples, then went to Mellor's quarry (he is not doing much, his crane is out repair and the top dirt has fallen in and in filled his quarry). His white stone seems considerably cheaper than Bellfields. Mellor then took me to see a red stone quarry at foot of hill towards Croxden. 8 pence per foot, this quarry belongs to Hodgkinson and the little new church at Croxden has been built with this stone. I went to see the church with Mellor and then had a look at the old Abbey.

The red stone at Beggar's Well would be much nearer to Cheadle and it is a good stone too as the Catholic Church at Cheadle was built from it.

I then went and had tea at Brindley's public house and then to William Mellor's. He paid me the 14 shillings he owed me for valuing timber. He told me that he sold it for the same sum exactly as I had put on it viz: 7 pounds 15 shillings.

Then I started for Hollington 8pm and walked home to Cheadle, which I reached about 9 o'clock, very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment