MONDAY 2nd JANUARY 1888

I went to Walton Villa at 10am for dad and forwarded and made out Bells cash sheet. After had dinner at Walton Villa and out all the afternoon, paying and receiving accts for dad. Tea at Walton Villa and in evening went to Rindle for rents but did not get any money.

My cold is somewhat better to day, but it has been a dismally foggy and dark day, so different to N.Z. (New Zealand)

Dad has had a poor Xmas; ill in bed since 21st Dec. two weeks tomorrow. He had a bad back for some time and confined to the house but on 16 Dec he went with me to Rakeway (Knott's Place) to look at the property of Thacker and as it came on wet and cold, I think he got(?) cold as he had no macintosh on and his legs got wet and he had to change his trousers on getting home. Dr says it is inflammation of the kidneys, but I have little faith in physic. The kidneys want help not clogging up with drugs. The poor old chap finds it very tiresome having to stay in bed as he has never spent a day in bed before. It is clearly my duty to help him now all I possibly can as he helped me when a child on his knee. My good kind father God help and bless him.

Notes:
1) John's father William was about 74 at the time of this diary. He lived at Walton Villa in Cheadle with his wife. Walton Villa is still there - it is by the roundabout on Charles Street. Here's the 1881 census:
1881 census, Walton Villa, Charles St., Cheadle:
Wm. ALCOCK M Male 66 Longton, Stafford, England Auctioneer
Hannah ALCOCK Wife M Female 63 Gratton
Elizabeth ALCOCK Daur U Female 22 Cheadle Milliner
Mona W. ALCOCK Daur U Female 17 Cheadle Teacher
Kate HILL Sister W Female 76 Longton Milliner
Catherine COOPERVisitor U Female 17 Cheadle Teacher
Eliza BOLTON Servant U Female 13 Cheadle Servant



Walton Villa - the house on the right (thanks to Mike Plant for leaving the comment)

2) John's father was an agent for Bell's brewery. He sold ale to the pubs in Cheadle. Due to his father's ill health, John was doing this work for his father. I found a piece of paper with the following written on it:
"PUBLIC NOTICE - August 4th 1881
Having given up the keeping of ALE STORES in CHEADLE and accepted instead an AGENCY for Messrs. JOHN BELL and Co. of Burton-on-Trent, I beg to request that all accounts for Ale bought from me up to the above date may be paid to me as early as possible. All Ale bought from me after this date will be promptly delivered by Messrs. J. BELL and Co., direct from Burton-on-Trent, and payment for same to be made to me as their Agent.
W. ALCOCK, Walton Villa.
WILLIAM ALCOCK AUCTIONEER AND APPRAISER."




1 comment:

  1. Walton Villa is the on the right hand side if you were still wondering.

    ReplyDelete