Table Manners


TABLE MANNERS

In silence I must take my seat
And give God thanks before I eat
And for my food in patience wait
Till I am asked to hand my plate
I must not frown and must not pout
Nor move my chair "or plate" about
I must not shout nor must I talk
Or play about with knife and fork
I must not folk about my food
Nor fret if I don't think it good
The tablecloth I must not spoil
Nor with my food my fingers soil
I must not play nor must I sing
Nor must I move my napkin ring
And when I'm done give to God praise
For all the blessings of my days

HORTON YARDLEY


This was written by John Alcock for his 9 children around 1880. His daughter Ursula passed her copy to her son John Rigby who wrote this copy out in 1983. John's granddaughter Kate Gibson passed it on to me. Thanks!

I must say that mealtimes didn't seem like much fun in those days but I suppose with so many children it would have been chaos if they were all doing what they liked.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment